Friday, March 25, 2011

jubilation 74....Spokane's Banksy

A few weeks ago, Corey and I watched the film above, which goes to great lengths to illuminate the viewer on the "street art" movement, and was absurdly helpful to those people, such as I, not familiar with urban culture or  Shepard Fairey (most famous for the Obama poster that we've all seen, the one that's all red, white, and blue), Banksy, or...Mr. Brainwash.  The movement consists of artwork that some would call "graffiti":  paintings,  stencils, sculptures, and posters glued to walls in public.  He did a series of 9 pieces on the wall of Israel's West Bank Barrier that left me choking down tears (although I have to admit that I cried at the gym just at the sight of this darn Subaru commercial).  I have since been fascinated, wondering how I could become Spokane's  political commentator via street art.  I mean, who would ever suspect me.   I even have a few masks I could use.   Here's his website-and some of his work.


The other day when I was running at Manito park, I saw this and realized that someone has beat me to it.   But I think I can do better than rats and guns.  

No comments: