Saturday, June 21, 2008

It is about the Bike

I am devastatingly terrible at finding gifts for Corey. You know when you have those "A-HA" moments of pure elated excitement because you have just thought of or found the absolute perfect expression of love in form of a gift or gesture for someone? I have NEVER had one of those moments for the most important person in my life. After almost 13 years of desperately groping and failing, I am ready to give up. Fortunately, the kids stepped up to fill this void in Corey's life and gave Corey the "ultimate" Father's Day gift.
Corey is passionate about a few things. Biking is undoubtedly at the top of that list (likely neck and neck with free-heeled skiing). I think it was a little disconcerting that his children didn't seem to share this ardant ferver. After many failed attempts, Savanna cringed at the thought of once again getting on a bike. I think I remember her telling me that she would rather eat worms. Emmy could ride a bike, but always with a hint of terror on her face. Ansel had so far been Corey's only progenic hope for someone to spoke around with. His dream of biking the Great Divide as a family was slowly fading into the sunset.
On Saturday night before Father's Day, I had a looming premonition that Corey's Day was doomed to be less than satisfactory. He had to work from 5pm to 2am that weekend and this did the opposite of give him a sunny disposition. I had unsuccessfully wrung the creative corner of my mind for any ideas. When all hope was almost lost, THE IDEA was presented to me.Savanna decided that she wanted to learn to ride a bike for Father's Day. This also nudged Emmy to gain more confidence in her riding ability. We went up to the cul-de-sac above the house and practiced the entire evening....along with many bumped calves and frustrated tears......until it was too dark to see any longer. Emmy was able to get a few good runs....and Savanna made a little progress. I could see that she was dissappointed when we had to head home before she had made a lap.
Savanna woke up Sunday morning, skipped breakfast, and wordlessly went out to the garage to get back on the bike. I watched her from the front steps and within an hour, she was riding that bike.
And the best part of it all was that they actually enjoyed biking. It is one week later and they have spent at least an hour a day riding their bikes.
I don't know how much longer Ansel will believe that his shoes possess special powers. He got these soccer cleats and immediately became the world's greatest soccer player. His entire persona took on an air of intense athletic ability.
Apparently, these magical shoes also gave Ansel the climbing prowess of a Mountain Goat.



It is okay that I may never be the one to make Corey's Dreams come true. His dream came true this Father's Day and that is all that matters. Cheesy enough for you Corey?
Happy Father's Day


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your blogs are amazing everyone looks wonderful!