Saturday, April 16, 2011

jubilation 100...home from home

Emmy always starts tearing up at least 24 hours before we have to leave Utah for home.  And then when it is time to say good-bye, she always loses it and cries for about the next 24 hours.   It is difficult to watch, but it is a little comforting to know that someone shares my sorrow.  I can disguise my need for a hug by enveloping her pain in my arms. It is so cliche, and most likely not helpful to Emmy when I remind her that the pain we feel when we leave people that we love is a joyful, jubilatory thing because it means that we are so lucky to have these people to love in the first place.
And she is probably thinking, "Whatever, mom.  Just get us back here as soon as you can."  I am guessing this because it is usually what I am saying to myself in response to these "comforting" words.

No comments: