Friday, April 1, 2011

jubilation 91...solving a mystery


We have been living in our new house for 3 years now.  Our property touches a stretch of main road that I feel responsible to keep clean.  It is routinely littered with beer bottles, broken cds, cigarette boxes, and pens.  None of the former items seem to irritate me as much as the rolled up m&m wrappers.  Who takes the time to roll their wrappers about 10 times (this one is only slightly rolled because I unrolled it to see if there was a secret message inside) and then throw them on the side of the road?  Every time I go down this road, there is about a 200 yard stretch where these are deposited about every 50 feet.  And even though I have picked them up hundreds of times, new ones replace the old, seemingly overnight.   I run down this road quite often and it is only in this area that these wrappers are found.  Well, today I reached the end of my littering patience.  I have to find out WHO or WHAT is doing this, vowing not to sleep until this mystery is solved.  I brought a lawn chair , some hot chocolate, and a book down to edge of the road and waited.....and waited.....and waited.  For six hours.   It rained.   Cars splashed me as they passed.  I got some funny looks.  Nothing.  No sign of the environmentally unfriendly chocoholic.  
I will go back tomorrow and the next day and the next day until I have caught him/her/it sticky handed.  But I must admit that I am not going to lose any sleep over this.  
P.s. April fools. I will never choose to spend my free time in this ridiculous manner. The mystery is legit, though.

3 comments:

Kaerlig said...

your presence might scare off the M&M litter bug- better to set up a camera

Lucy said...

Awesome. I hope you catch the perp:)

Sijbrich said...

This made me laugh and you honestly had me fooled. You surprise me sometimes with your quirkiness, so I didn't think twice about you actually sitting out on the road just waiting.